Parents generally try to balance elements of fun and safety when picking toys for the kids. Add such benefits as being educational or durable and a toy can be a real winner, at least in the eyes of the parents. However, Great Aunt Agnes or Uncle Pierre the confirmed bachelor may not have the same priorities. These gift-giving issues can be monitored at birthday parties, but the sheer volume of presents and the frenzy of Christmas morning can mean problem toys may be overlooked.
It is not too late, however, to go through the toy box to see if there are gifts that pose a danger to the recipient or even a younger sibling. The consumer safety group World Against Toys Causing Harm (WATCH) recently issued its 46th list of the 10 most dangerous toys on the market. Parents can use this list (as well as the reasons the toys made the list) as a quick reference to see if any new gifts pose a danger.
The WATCH list
The biggest concern is generally injuries to the eyes and ears as well as choking hazards:
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll: The tutu and removable headband are potential choking hazards.
- Vtech’s Zoo Jamz Xylophone: The stick-like mallet is a potential choking hazard.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster: This Nerf gun shoots foam discs instead of darts and poses a danger to eyes.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket: This popular toy shoots 200 feet into the air, but returns to earth as a hazard to face and eyes.
- Cutting Fruit Set: The plastic knife is sturdy enough to inflict damage to eyes or ears.
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleepytime Lights: The batteries are a danger for leaking for ingestion.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade: The toy poses a danger for blunt force or eye injury.
- NICI Wonderland Doll: MiniClara the Ballerina’s kitten accessory poses a choking hazard.
- Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog: The dog’s leash has the potential for strangulation or injury caused by tripping.
- Marvel Black Panther Claw: This popular toy has the potential to injure eyes or face.
Vigilance is the key
There is no way to anticipate every potential danger, but vigilance can be the difference. If a child is severely injured or worse due to a toy’s use or malfunction, it is important to contact an attorney with personal injury experience. They can provide peace of mind and advocacy to recover the compensation that victims and their families deserve.