Semi-trucks are massive vehicles that take up a huge amount of road space. These commercial machines are necessary for the daily business of manufacturing and shipping, but they carry significant risk. Since 2015, over 12,000 people have died in truck crashes, with numbers going up about 10% each year. Truck drivers rarely at fault too, as most of these crashes result from the negligence of other drivers or unforeseen road hazards.
Those involved in an accident with a commercial truck are likely due compensation for medical bills, attorney’s fees and even damages. A local personal injury lawyer would be well equipped to help identify those parties and recover the due restitution.
Determining fault in a commercial truck accident
Commercial trucking is an expansive business that involves many individuals and organizations, several of which may be at fault for any given accident. A personal injury attorney will identify as many defendants as possible during the proceedings. Those defendants can include:
- Drivers: Truck drivers are among the safer drivers on the road, but this does not always make up for the inherent danger of large trucks.
- Employers: An attorney might discover that an employer’s negligence directly resulted in the crash. This includes withholding key information, skipping safety checks or through an employment relationship with a negligent driver.
- Contractors: Many truckers drive under contract, muddying the lines of employer liability and oversight. An attorney can examine each party’s individual insurance policies to determine fault.
- Manufacturer or shipper of cargo: Sometimes the truck’s cargo can be the primary cause of related injuries. Some hazardous materials, if spilled, might not show damaging effects until well after the crash. Additionally, key information about the cargo may have been withheld.
- Insurance companies: Though not usually found “at fault,” insurance companies will pay most of any claimable restitution and are thoroughly involved in all aspects of litigation or legal action.
Secure appropriate representation
Those involved in a traffic accident involving a commercial truck should contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Trucking companies go to great lengths to secure comprehensive insurance coverage and many seek to resolve these cases quickly. A local personal injury attorney will be strongly motivated to examine your case, discover the negligent parties and ensure victims receive due compensation.