Tips For Your Accident Claim
Do you know what to do after being in a car accident? Motor vehicle accidents are among the most common sources of injury and death in the United States. Yet you may have assumed that you’d never become a statistic – until you find yourself on a busy road, injured and with a smashed vehicle.
At a time like this, it is critical to seek help from a knowledgeable and experienced legal professional. In the New Orleans area, The Truitt Law Firm, LLC, is the natural choice for representation. We have nearly three decades of experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in motor vehicle accident litigation. Our experience on both sides of the courtroom gives you an advantage regardless of whether you settle or go to trial.
Keep These Tips In Mind Immediately After A Crash
The actions you take in the immediate aftermath of a crash could greatly help or hurt your chances of a successful financial recovery. Here are some important things to do and things to avoid:
- Check yourself for injuries as well as all others involved in the crash.
- If you can, call 911 to request an ambulance (if needed) and a police officer to help create a crash report.
- While waiting for the police, move everyone out of the road and to a safe space.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver.
- Take pictures of the crash scene, vehicle damage and anything else that could be relevant later.
- Talk to any witnesses who saw the crash and could later testify or give a statement. Obtain their contact information if they are willing to share it.
- Avoid admitting fault or speculating about what happened. That can be sorted out later.
- After leaving the scene, contact your insurance company to report that the crash happened, but do not give any more details than absolutely necessary until after you speak to an attorney.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney.
Do not admit even partial fault, and do not agree to give an official statement. The things you say to an insurance adjuster at this point could weaken your case, so it is important to first discuss things with an experienced personal injury attorney like those at our firm.
Should You Take A Settlement Offer?
In the days following your crash, the insurance company will likely make a settlement offer. This is not an act of generosity. The insurance company wants to close the claim as quickly as possible and as inexpensively as possible. Therefore, the offer you receive will likely be for far less than the claim is worth and far less than you need to cover your losses.
You likely won’t know how much money you need and deserve until your attorney has an opportunity to assess your case. Therefore, it is unwise to take any settlement offer without first consulting with your lawyer.
Take Advantage Of A Free Initial Consultation
With offices in Metairie and Covington, The Truitt Law Firm, LLC, represents clients throughout Louisiana. To discuss your legal options during a free consultation, call us at 985-273-0900 or fill out our online contact form. Hablamos español.