What you do after an accident in a rideshare vehicle matters, particularly if you believe you have a valid reason to move forward with a personal injury claim at some point in the future. If you were in a Lyft, Uber or other type of rideshare vehicle when you were in an accident, you may not be sure what to do next. Who is to blame for what happened?
The cause of an accident is not always immediately apparent. It can be difficult to know if the actions of the rideshare driver or someone else are the reason why your accident happened. However, evidence you preserve and collect can help determine what course of action is most appropriate for you. If you have a case, evidence from the crash is important in proving the extent of damages you suffered.
What should you do?
In car accident cases, it is often one person’s word against another person’s word. Evidence and documentation is crucial to determining what happened and who is to blame. Some of the things that may be helpful to you include:
- Keep your clothes from the accident, especially if torn, bloody or damaged from the crash.
- Take pictures of the accident scene if you are able, and take pictures of your injuries once you are able to do so.
- Take pictures of the damage to your property, and keep any damaged equipment or personal items harmed in the collision.
- Keep medical records from any medical treatment you received because of your accident-related injuries.
- Keep any documents that relate to your accident, including copies of your insurance claim.
Photos are particularly useful pieces of evidence after an accident in a rideshare vehicle. Anything you can take a picture of or keep that may help prove your case is important.
Working with an attorney
It is in your interests to work with an experienced legal ally after your accident. A Louisiana attorney can help you understand the specific options available, and if that includes a civil claim, he or she can explain how you can fight for the full and fair amount of compensation you deserve.
Cases involving rideshare vehicles are legally complex and confusing, but you do not have to handle the aftermath alone. After an accident, it is helpful to start with an assessment of your case immediately as prompt action is important for the preservation of evidence.